iOS 16 annoyances

badgolferman

Sep 15, 2022, 9:12:20 PM9/15/22
I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
things which are annoying.

a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see how to
change that.

b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed, they
are still at the bottom.

Any suggestions welcomed (except from Jolly Roger).

nospam

Sep 15, 2022, 9:47:57 PM9/15/22
In article <tg0ihi$3f60c$1...@dont-email.me>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
> things which are annoying.
>
> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see how to
> change that.

the lock screen can now be customized, however, it's currently not
obvious how to do that.

while viewing the lock screen, touch & hold until the lock screen
editor appears, then click customize, where you can then change the
font/colour, add widgets and/or create new lock screens.

<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-16-lock-screen/>
<https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/12/ios-16-lock-screen/>

> b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed, they
> are still at the bottom.

that's because there are now user configurable widgets where
notifications used to appear.

another reason is because it's less intrusive to obscure the bottom of
the lock screen photo. note that depending on the photo, the clock is
shown *behind* the subject so that it doesn't obscure it.

badgolferman

Sep 15, 2022, 9:57:03 PM9/15/22
nospam wrote:

>In article <tg0ihi$3f60c$1...@dont-email.me>, badgolferman
><REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
>> things which are annoying.
>>
>> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see
>>how to change that.
>
>the lock screen can now be customized, however, it's currently not
>obvious how to do that.
>
>while viewing the lock screen, touch & hold until the lock screen
>editor appears, then click customize, where you can then change the
>font/colour, add widgets and/or create new lock screens.
>
><https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-16-lock-screen/>
><https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/12/ios-16-lock-screen/>

Can't really change the width of the clock. I'm amazed iOS won't offer
an analog clock for the lock screen.

>> b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
>> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed,
>>they are still at the bottom.
>
>that's because there are now user configurable widgets where
>notifications used to appear.
>
>another reason is because it's less intrusive to obscure the bottom of
>the lock screen photo. note that depending on the photo, the clock is
>shown behind the subject so that it doesn't obscure it.

I don't care about widgets and I don't use them. I'd rather see as
many email notifications as I can get so I don't have to open the
Outlook app to view them.

nospam

Sep 15, 2022, 10:06:00 PM9/15/22
In article <tg0l5e$3i5od$1...@dont-email.me>, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't care about widgets and I don't use them.

don't rule them out so soon.

some of them can be useful, such as the weather and battery widgets.
others not so much, but there will be many third party widgets coming
soon.

to further clutter up the lock screen are live activities, which are
coming in 16.1, including sports scores, uber status, etc.

> I'd rather see as
> many email notifications as I can get so I don't have to open the
> Outlook app to view them.

you still can, they're just at the bottom.

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 12:46:17 AM9/16/22
On 9/15/2022 6:12 PM, badgolferman wrote:
> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
> things which are annoying.
>
> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see how to
> change that.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It looks terrible.

> b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed, they
> are still at the bottom.
>
> Any suggestions welcomed (except from Jolly Roger).

LOL, you can be certain that if he did offer any suggestions that they
would be incorrect.

mark

Sep 16, 2022, 1:53:21 AM9/16/22
sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

>> Any suggestions welcomed (except from Jolly Roger).
>
> LOL, you can be certain that if he did offer any suggestions that they
> would be incorrect.

Wasn't it Jolly Roger who recently lied about clocks in other threads?

Your Name

Sep 16, 2022, 2:16:22 AM9/16/22
On 2022-09-16 01:57:02 +0000, badgolferman said:

> nospam wrote:
>
>> In article <tg0ihi$3f60c$1...@dont-email.me>, badgolferman
>> <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
>>> things which are annoying.
>>>
>>> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see
>>> how to change that.
>>
>> the lock screen can now be customized, however, it's currently not
>> obvious how to do that.
>>
>> while viewing the lock screen, touch & hold until the lock screen
>> editor appears, then click customize, where you can then change the
>> font/colour, add widgets and/or create new lock screens.
>>
>> <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-16-lock-screen/>
>> <https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/12/ios-16-lock-screen/>
>
> Can't really change the width of the clock. I'm amazed iOS won't offer
> an analog clock for the lock screen.

Because analog clocks "suck". :-p

It's far far easier to see the time on a digital clock than to bother
trying to work out which is the "big hand" and which is the "little
hand" (something that can be near impossible on many analog clocks with
really stupid designs).

>>> b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
>>> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed,
>>> they are still at the bottom.
>>
>> that's because there are now user configurable widgets where
>> notifications used to appear.
>>
>> another reason is because it's less intrusive to obscure the bottom of
>> the lock screen photo. note that depending on the photo, the clock is
>> shown behind the subject so that it doesn't obscure it.
>
> I don't care about widgets and I don't use them. I'd rather see as
> many email notifications as I can get so I don't have to open the
> Outlook app to view them.

It's a lock screen, so you purposely won't see any emails because it
needs to keep privacy if someone else "finds" your phone. You will see
how many and possibly a vague hint like "new email from paul".

Wilf

Sep 16, 2022, 2:46:54 AM9/16/22
On 16/09/2022 at 07:16, Your Name wrote:
> Because analog clocks "suck". 😛
>
> It's far far easier to see the time on a digital clock than to bother
> trying to work out which is the "big hand" and which is the "little
> hand" (something that can be near impossible on many analog clocks with
> really stupid designs).

Actually not really, excepting that I do take your point about badly
designed clock faces and hands. If you use analogue clocks all the
time, as everyone used to do of course, a quick glance at the clock and
you just automatically take in what the time is without any conscious
effort. Also the calculation of at least approximate time periods is
automatic to a regular analogue clock user.

--
Wilf

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 6:26:05 AM9/16/22
On 9/15/2022 6:57 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Can't really change the width of the clock. I'm amazed iOS won't offer
> an analog clock for the lock screen.

Really like the analog clock on Android. It's very classy.

There is a way to do this on the iPhone and iPad but you have to
Jailbreak the device, see
<https://www.idownloadblog.com/2022/01/18/analog/>. So wait for the iOS
16/iPadOS 16 Jailbreak if you really want this feature.

It would be nice for iOS to have an analog clock on the lock screen that
looked just like the Apple Watch face. Maybe in a future rev of
iOS/iPadOS we'll see this feature, unless there are patent issues that
are the reason why it's not available on iOS and iPadOS. There are a lot
of seemingly obvious features that have been patented by one company or
another. It was interesting to read an article that explained why
Apple's own 5G modem will be delayed
<https://www.business-standard.com/article/technology/apple-s-internal-5g-modem-that-phase-out-qualcomm-causes-legal-issues-122070100049_1.html>.

I added this to the document <https://tinyurl.com/iOS-Android-Features>
as #190a on page 89. Whenever there's a Jailbreak Tweak that provides a
feature or capability you can be pretty sure that there's significant
demand for the feature.

nospam

Sep 16, 2022, 7:03:20 AM9/16/22
In article <tg1ivr$3nbkk$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> It would be nice for iOS to have an analog clock on the lock screen that
> looked just like the Apple Watch face. Maybe in a future rev of
> iOS/iPadOS we'll see this feature, unless there are patent issues that
> are the reason why it's not available on iOS and iPadOS.

there are no patent issues for using an analog clock.

> There are a lot
> of seemingly obvious features that have been patented by one company or
> another.

no there aren't.

> It was interesting to read an article that explained why
> Apple's own 5G modem will be delayed

that has nothing to do with a clock and everything to do with
qualcomm's long standing predatory business practices.

> Whenever there's a Jailbreak Tweak that provides a
> feature or capability you can be pretty sure that there's significant
> demand for the feature.

rubbish.

badgolferman

Sep 16, 2022, 7:05:13 AM9/16/22
Your Name wrote:

>>Can't really change the width of the clock. I'm amazed iOS won't
>>offer an analog clock for the lock screen.
>
>Because analog clocks "suck". :-p
>
>It's far far easier to see the time on a digital clock than to bother
>trying to work out which is the "big hand" and which is the "little
>hand" (something that can be near impossible on many analog clocks
>with really stupid designs).

If analog clocks suck why does Apple have one on the Clock app? I
assume there is one on the Apple Watch as well. Yet they can't provide
an option in the clock preferences to display an analog clock on the
lock screen? They provide a 24-hour clock function which I use and
surely far less people use that than people who would use the analog
clock.

I find analog clocks easier to read because I'm looking at what the
time is in relation to the top or bottom of the hour. Almost
everything which I need to use a clock for is scheduled for the top or
bottom of the hour. It's easier to see that there's about ten minutes
to eight than calculating 7:48 in relation to 8:00. Maybe if you're a
millennial and don't know how to read an analog clock I would
understand your disdain for them. Hopefully someday you will realize
not everyone thinks like you do.

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 7:11:34 AM9/16/22
Your Name is wrong of course™.

An analog clock is actually easier to see the time on, at least if you
know how to tell time on an analog clock!).

"Analog watches gives an "impression" of time. The big picture but
really quickly. They use a visual concept, a graphic symbol of time. In
digital timepieces, they works by intellectualizing a numerical concept
of time."

The Apple Watch defaults to an analog watch face, though you can choose
a digital watch face if you want. The same capability to choose which
kind of clock face you want should be available on the iPhone.

This is what my Galaxy Note 9 looks like with an analog clock:
<https://i.imgur.com/PhoLTeI.jpeg>

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 7:15:58 AM9/16/22
On 9/16/2022 4:05 AM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> Maybe if you're a
> millennial and don't know how to read an analog clock I would
> understand your disdain for them. Hopefully someday you will realize
> not everyone thinks like you do.

Stop insulting millenials! Most know how to read a clock.

ABLE1

Sep 16, 2022, 8:40:17 AM9/16/22
Hello,

This conversation has proven to be very beneficial to me.

I help maintain synchronized clocks in an old school. The original
clock sync controller took a hit a number of years ago and I replaced
it with a newer model that has Internet connection to keep the clock
sync in tune with the rest of the world. The clocks in the classrooms
are 120 volt analog about 12" in diameter. As the old clock motors or
other mechanisms wear out and the clock stops or won't sync when it
gets the signal from the controller (120 Volt for about 7-8 seconds)
I then get a call and instead of trying to find the bad part and replace
it, I find it much easier to just replace the clock with a new unit with
newer operating components. Of which a micro fuse has blown and I have
installed a new fuse to fix that issue.

BTW I sell the old non-functioning clocks on eBay. With the comment that
I guarantee this clock to be 100% accurate 2 times a day!! :-)

Anyhow the reason I find this conversation useful is that a few months
ago I overheard the Principal make a comment and a face of disgust about
the clocks as if he was not pleased with them. At the time I just
brushed it off as a young educator that needed to make a snotty comment.

Then I was concerned that something was wrong with the clocks sync or
something. But when I am there all the clocks that I might look at
are right on time.

HOWEVER I NOW UNDERSTAND HIS PROBLEM!!
He does on know how to read Analog Clocks!!
Or finds them challenging to his brain.

ROFLOL Thanks!! I would not have figured that out on my own!!!

Les

Joerg Lorenz

Sep 16, 2022, 10:58:48 AM9/16/22
Am 16.09.22 um 13:11 schrieb sms:
> On 9/15/2022 11:46 PM, Wilf wrote:
>> On 16/09/2022 at 07:16, Your Name wrote:
>>> Because analog clocks "suck".  😛
>>>
>>> It's far far easier to see the time on a digital clock than to bother
>>> trying to work out which is the "big hand" and which is the "little
>>> hand" (something that can be near impossible on many analog clocks with
>>> really stupid designs).
>>
>> Actually not really, excepting that I do take your point about badly
>> designed clock faces and hands.  If you use analogue clocks all the
>> time, as everyone used to do of course, a quick glance at the clock and
>> you just automatically take in what the time is without any conscious
>> effort.  Also the calculation of at least approximate time periods is
>> automatic to a regular analogue clock user.
>
> Your Name is wrong of course™.

This Your Name is Burnelli of course. And you troll again.

From: Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: iOS 16 annoyances
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 18:16:17 +1200

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Rod Speed

Sep 16, 2022, 12:37:34 PM9/16/22
On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 11:12:18 +1000, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
> things which are annoying.
>
> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick.

It certainly is thicker but I prefer the new one.

> I don't see how to change that.

There is some way to change the font of that I saw somewhere.

> b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed, they
> are still at the bottom.

> Any suggestions welcomed (except from Jolly Roger).

What about the suggestion to shove your head up a dead bear's arse ?

Jolly Roger

Sep 16, 2022, 12:54:24 PM9/16/22
On 2022-09-16, badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>In article <tg0ihi$3f60c$1...@dont-email.me>, badgolferman
>><REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
>>> things which are annoying.
>>>
>>> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see
>>>how to change that.
>>
>>the lock screen can now be customized, however, it's currently not
>>obvious how to do that.
>>
>>while viewing the lock screen, touch & hold until the lock screen
>>editor appears, then click customize, where you can then change the
>>font/colour, add widgets and/or create new lock screens.

Another way is to go to Settings > Wallpaper and make your changes
there.
You definitely can change the font width, since there are several fonts
from which to choose - here's a screenshot from my iPhone:

<https://i.imgur.com/RD7Ygya.jpg>

JR

Rod Speed

Sep 16, 2022, 12:55:20 PM9/16/22
On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 21:05:12 +1000, badgolferman
<REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your Name wrote:
>
>>> Can't really change the width of the clock. I'm amazed iOS won't
>>> offer an analog clock for the lock screen.
>>
>> Because analog clocks "suck". :-p
>>
>> It's far far easier to see the time on a digital clock than to bother
>> trying to work out which is the "big hand" and which is the "little
>> hand" (something that can be near impossible on many analog clocks
>> with really stupid designs).
>

> If analog clocks suck why does Apple have one on the Clock app? I
> assume there is one on the Apple Watch as well. Yet they can't provide
> an option in the clock preferences to display an analog clock on the
> lock screen?

Not can't but choose not to, presumably because the lock
screen is now rather tight with widgets and wall paper etc.

> They provide a 24-hour clock function which I use and
> surely far less people use that than people who would use the analog
> clock.

It isnt a question of how many want it, the problem is
that an analog clock uses more space to still be useful.

> I find analog clocks easier to read because I'm looking at what the
> time is in relation to the top or bottom of the hour. Almost
> everything which I need to use a clock for is scheduled for the top or
> bottom of the hour. It's easier to see that there's about ten minutes
> to eight than calculating 7:48 in relation to 8:00. Maybe if you're a
> millennial and don't know how to read an analog clock I would
> understand your disdain for them. Hopefully someday you will realize
> not everyone thinks like you do.

I am an ancient fart and far prefer digital time displays.

Jolly Roger

Sep 16, 2022, 1:02:18 PM9/16/22
Nope, and to prove it, you won't be able to point to this supposed lie.
: ) Try harder next time.

Jolly Roger

Sep 16, 2022, 1:03:18 PM9/16/22
On 2022-09-16, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <tg1ivr$3nbkk$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
><scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> It would be nice for iOS to have an analog clock on the lock screen
>> that looked just like the Apple Watch face. Maybe in a future rev of
>> iOS/iPadOS we'll see this feature, unless there are patent issues
>> that are the reason why it's not available on iOS and iPadOS.
>
> there are no patent issues for using an analog clock.

He thinks patents are the reason for just about everything. It's
comically stupid.

Wade Garrett

Sep 16, 2022, 1:29:15 PM9/16/22
Fer cryin' out loud, guys....y'all are arguing about fonts and clock
displays on a damn cellphone home screen.

Get a life!

--
I fix stuff and I know things

zall

Sep 16, 2022, 2:04:54 PM9/16/22
Got one thanks, unlike you.

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 2:15:15 PM9/16/22
LOL, kind of agree, but the new clock font _is_ actually a little
annoying. Aesthetics and Human Factors should matter, especially to Apple.

It would be nice if you could at least change it from white to black if
you have a light background on your lock screen. Maybe there's a way to
do this but I haven't found it. I changed my lock screen to a darker
color. I created a custom lock screen with "if found" information, since
unlike Android, there is not yet support in iOS to put contact
information on the lock screen, see <https://i.imgur.com/usmYh9k.jpeg>.

And of course an analog clock option would be great!

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 2:23:36 PM9/16/22
On 9/15/2022 6:12 PM, badgolferman wrote:
Another issue, that my brother just ran into, is that his hearing aid
will no longer pair (Bluetooth) with his iPhone 11 since he installed
iOS 16.

I searched for this issue and indeed it is a real issue, see
<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254199605>. The suggestion to
contact the hearing aid manufacturer was rather amusing, since these
hearing aids worked fine under iOS 15.x.y. He just discovered this a few
minutes ago and isn't at home so he can't reboot the hearing aid (it
only turns off when it's in the charger). Rebooting the phone has no effect.

There are now warnings out by hearing aid manufacturers to not upgrade
to iOS 16 yet
<https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/oticon-warning-about-ios-16-update/70821>.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 16, 2022, 3:18:53 PM9/16/22
badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> In article <tg0ihi$3f60c$1...@dont-email.me>, badgolferman
>> <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
>>> things which are annoying.
>>>
>>> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see
>>> how to change that.
>>
>> the lock screen can now be customized, however, it's currently not
>> obvious how to do that.
>>
>> while viewing the lock screen, touch & hold until the lock screen
>> editor appears, then click customize, where you can then change the
>> font/colour, add widgets and/or create new lock screens.
>>
>> <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-16-lock-screen/>
>> <https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/12/ios-16-lock-screen/>
>>

> Can't really change the width of the clock. I'm amazed iOS won't offer
> an analog clock for the lock screen.

I was able to switch from the weird font it started with. I actually like
the lock screen tweakability. And I customized the color-scheme to resemble
a purplish Ubuntu splash screen.

>>> b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
>>> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed,
>>> they are still at the bottom.
>>
>> that's because there are now user configurable widgets where
>> notifications used to appear.
>>
>> another reason is because it's less intrusive to obscure the bottom of
>> the lock screen photo. note that depending on the photo, the clock is
>> shown behind the subject so that it doesn't obscure it.
>

> I don't care about widgets and I don't use them. I'd rather see as
> many email notifications as I can get so I don't have to open the
> Outlook app to view them.

I have widgets for battery and my alarm clock. I imagine they will expand
on this feature.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 16, 2022, 3:23:52 PM9/16/22
Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
> On 2022-09-16 01:57:02 +0000, badgolferman said:
>
>> nospam wrote:

>>> the lock screen can now be customized, however, it's currently not
>>> obvious how to do that.
>>>
>>> while viewing the lock screen, touch & hold until the lock screen
>>> editor appears, then click customize, where you can then change the
>>> font/colour, add widgets and/or create new lock screens.t
>>>
>>> <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-16-lock-screen/>
>>> <https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/12/ios-16-lock-screen/>
>>
>> Can't really change the width of the clock. I'm amazed iOS won't offer
>> an analog clock for the lock screen.
>
> Because analog clocks "suck". :-p
>
> It's far far easier to see the time on a digital clock than to bother
> trying to work out which is the "big hand" and which is the "little
> hand" (something that can be near impossible on many analog clocks with
> really stupid designs).

I love analogs. I have a large one on my home screen and would put one on
my lock screen too if made available. I come from a generation old enough
to remember telling time the old fashioned way before digital clocks addled
brains.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 16, 2022, 3:28:32 PM9/16/22
Actually important and modifiable.

Chris

Sep 16, 2022, 3:55:02 PM9/16/22
Others have noted that a simple forget and re-pair works with BT speakers.

Jolly Roger

Sep 16, 2022, 4:13:37 PM9/16/22
They are trolling, as usual. It literally *is* their life here.

Jolly Roger

Sep 16, 2022, 4:18:01 PM9/16/22
On 2022-09-16, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On 9/16/2022 10:29 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> On 9/15/22 9:12 PM, badgolferman wrote:
>>> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
>>> things which are annoying.
>>>
>>> a.  The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick.  I don't see how
>>> to change that.
>>>
>>> b.  The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen.  I
>>> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed,
>>> they are still at the bottom.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions welcomed (except from Jolly Roger).
>>
>> Fer cryin' out loud, guys....y'all are arguing about fonts and clock
>> displays on a damn cellphone home screen.
>
> LOL, kind of agree, but the new clock font _is_ actually a little
> annoying. Aesthetics and Human Factors should matter, especially to
> Apple.
>
> It would be nice if you could at least change it from white to black
> if you have a light background on your lock screen. Maybe there's a
> way to do this but I haven't found it.

You haven't looked very hard then:

<https://i.imgur.com/otHhQJl.jpg>

Trolling is more fun for you, apparently.

Ant

Sep 16, 2022, 4:29:14 PM9/16/22
Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am an ancient fart and far prefer digital time displays.

Me too.
--
Only one dump yesterday! "That's Incredible!" However, not today. Tired too. :( Quiet Friday?
| |o o| |

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 5:04:23 PM9/16/22
On 9/16/2022 12:55 PM, Chris wrote:

<snip>

> Others have noted that a simple forget and re-pair works with BT speakers.

That didn't work, that was the first thing he tried. Hopefully powering
down the hearing aid will solve the problem. Others have said that
powering down the hearing aid by putting it in the charger solved the
problem.

badgolferman

Sep 16, 2022, 5:30:34 PM9/16/22
I use Signia hearing aids and use the iOS controls more than the app
itself. Hopefully they aren’t affected but I will wait a while before
upgrading on my personal phone. Thanks for the notice so I can follow up on
this.

nospam

Sep 16, 2022, 5:35:40 PM9/16/22
In article <vrSdnZdg4u6KUbn-...@giganews.com>,
*Hemidactylus* <ecph...@allspamis.invalid> wrote:

> I have widgets for battery and my alarm clock. I imagine they will expand
> on this feature.

very much so. it's easy for app developers to create their own widgets,
especially for those who already have existing apple watch
complications.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 16, 2022, 5:50:42 PM9/16/22
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2022-09-16, Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net> wrote:
>> On 9/15/22 9:12 PM, badgolferman wrote:
>>> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
>>> things which are annoying.
>>>
>>> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see how
>>> to change that.
>>>
>>> b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
>>> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed,
>>> they are still at the bottom.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions welcomed (except from Jolly Roger).
>>
>> Fer cryin' out loud, guys....y'all are arguing about fonts and clock
>> displays on a damn cellphone home screen.
>>
>> Get a life!
>
> They are trolling, as usual. It literally *is* their life here.

I actually think the changes really make my lock screen pop visually. I
never thought I’d say that about something so seemingly trivial.

zall

Sep 16, 2022, 6:17:19 PM9/16/22
On Sat, 17 Sep 2022 04:15:12 +1000, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On 9/16/2022 10:29 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
>> On 9/15/22 9:12 PM, badgolferman wrote:
>>> I updated my work iPhone 11 to iOS 16 and immediately noticed two
>>> things which are annoying.
>>>
>>> a. The clock font on the Lock Screen is too thick. I don't see how to
>>> change that.
>>>
>>> b. The notifications are stacked at the bottom of the screen. I
>>> changed the setting in Notifications to List but nothing changed, they
>>> are still at the bottom.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions welcomed (except from Jolly Roger).
>> Fer cryin' out loud, guys....y'all are arguing about fonts and clock
>> displays on a damn cellphone home screen.
>
> LOL, kind of agree, but the new clock font _is_ actually a little
> annoying. Aesthetics and Human Factors should matter, especially to
> Apple.
>
> It would be nice if you could at least change it from white to black if
> you have a light background on your lock screen. Maybe there's a way to
> do this

Yes there is.

> but I haven't found it.

Its in the settings for the lock screen, which makes sense.

> I changed my lock screen to a darker color. I created a custom lock
> screen with "if found" information, since unlike Android, there is not
> yet support in iOS to put contact information on the lock screen, see
> <https://i.imgur.com/usmYh9k.jpeg>.

> And of course an analog clock option would be great!

Wouldn't fit on most customised lock screens.

Your Name

Sep 16, 2022, 6:22:42 PM9/16/22
A. It was a joke, hence the poking tongue smiley (I know, there are a
bunch of morons who have no idea what smileies mean and believe
every piece of text ion the internet is 110% fact).

B. I can read analog clocks and used them for years, but a digital
clock is simply far easier and quicker to read accurately ...
especially on a clock you haven't seen before (if it's your own
clock, then you seen it every day and know which hand is which) or
with some inane analog clock designs that make the hands look
virtually identical.

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 7:54:03 PM9/16/22
On 9/16/2022 3:17 PM, zall wrote:

<snip>

> Its in the settings for the lock screen, which makes sense.

Thanks. Actually it's in the setting for wallpaper. There is no setting
for the "lock screen."

<snip>

> Wouldn't fit on most customised lock screens.

Depends how you customize it. The Jailbreak Tweak for an analog clock
looks fine <https://www.idownloadblog.com/2022/01/18/analog/>.

sms

Sep 16, 2022, 7:55:34 PM9/16/22
On 9/16/2022 2:30 PM, badgolferman wrote:

<snip>

> I use Signia hearing aids and use the iOS controls more than the app
> itself. Hopefully they aren’t affected but I will wait a while before
> upgrading on my personal phone. Thanks for the notice so I can follow up on
> this.

His iPhone did not see the hearing aid's Bluetooth, it wasn't an app or
iOS controls that were the problem. He got it working by shutting down
the hearing aid by putting it in the charger then rediscovering it with
Bluetooth from the phone.

badgolferman

Sep 16, 2022, 8:01:24 PM9/16/22
If he still has trouble have him try this solution. Apparently this has
been reported since iOS 15.4.

https://www.iphonetricks.org/hearing-aids-disconnect-from-iphone-fixed/

nospam

Sep 16, 2022, 8:18:53 PM9/16/22
In article <tg32ap$3vda7$1...@dont-email.me>, sms
<scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> > Its in the settings for the lock screen, which makes sense.
>
> Thanks. Actually it's in the setting for wallpaper. There is no setting
> for the "lock screen."

yes there is.

how is it you get so much wrong?

Hank Rogers

Sep 16, 2022, 8:54:43 PM9/16/22
WHERE?

I don't see settings/lock screen.

Are you pontificating from a real old iphone or ios version, again?

nospam

Sep 16, 2022, 8:59:30 PM9/16/22
In article <mV8VK.176338$9Yp5...@fx12.iad>, Hank Rogers
<ha...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> >> Thanks. Actually it's in the setting for wallpaper. There is no setting
> >> for the "lock screen."
> >
> > yes there is.
> >
> > how is it you get so much wrong?
> >

> WHERE?
>
> I don't see settings/lock screen.

already explained in another post.

from the lock screen, tap/hold to bring up the editor, where you can
customize fonts, colours, widgets, photos and more, with multiple lock
screens that can easily be changed, including via focus modes.

<https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-16-lock-screen/>

zall

Sep 16, 2022, 9:01:34 PM9/16/22
I have never had to work out which hand is which, because
I always know roughly what the time is and am just checking
the clock for a more accurate time.

zall

Sep 16, 2022, 9:04:25 PM9/16/22
On Sat, 17 Sep 2022 09:53:58 +1000, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On 9/16/2022 3:17 PM, zall wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Its in the settings for the lock screen, which makes sense.
>
> Thanks. Actually it's in the setting for wallpaper. There is no setting
> for the "lock screen."

The wallpaper is one of the setting for the lock screen.

> <snip>
>
>> Wouldn't fit on most customised lock screens.
>
> Depends how you customize it. The Jailbreak Tweak for an analog clock
> looks fine <https://www.idownloadblog.com/2022/01/18/analog/>.

That only works when there is nothing else on the lock screen and
that small analog clock isnt as easy to read as the new digital one.

Hank Rogers

Sep 16, 2022, 10:19:45 PM9/16/22
Thanks.
How do I get to those fonts settings?

I see only the different background images, and a VERY small
selection of widgets.

nospam

Sep 16, 2022, 10:29:25 PM9/16/22
In article <49aVK.293720$SAT4....@fx13.iad>, Hank Rogers
<ha...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> >> I don't see settings/lock screen.
> >
> > already explained in another post.
> >
> > from the lock screen, tap/hold to bring up the editor, where you can
> > customize fonts, colours, widgets, photos and more, with multiple lock
> > screens that can easily be changed, including via focus modes.
> >
> > <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-16-lock-screen/>
> >

> Thanks.
> How do I get to those fonts settings?

tap the customize button.

you should see something like this
<https://images.macrumors.com/t/IK5XofmVpwz3NhzqtIb1VW_uF7o=/800x0/artic
le-new/2022/06/ios-16-time-lock-screen.jpg?lossy>

> I see only the different background images, and a VERY small
> selection of widgets.

third party developers can create their own widgets so expect that to
change.

Hank Rogers

Sep 16, 2022, 11:15:48 PM9/16/22
nospam wrote:

>>> already explained in another post.
>>>
>>> from the lock screen, tap/hold to bring up the editor, where you can
>>> customize fonts, colours, widgets, photos and more, with multiple lock
>>> screens that can easily be changed, including via focus modes.
>>>
>>> <https://www.macrumors.com/guide/ios-16-lock-screen/>
>>>

>> Thanks.
>> How do I get to those fonts settings?
>
> tap the customize button.

Thanks. If I tap the clock, I can change it's font. They are all
pretty similar though. I guess this is what you were taking about.
I can't change any other fonts, like for the widgets.

> you should see something like this
> <https://images.macrumors.com/t/IK5XofmVpwz3NhzqtIb1VW_uF7o=/800x0/artic
> le-new/2022/06/ios-16-time-lock-screen.jpg?lossy>

I get:
This page isn’t working right now If the problem continues, contact
the site owner.
HTTP ERROR 400

nospam

Sep 16, 2022, 11:24:29 PM9/16/22
In article <DZaVK.108170$elEa....@fx09.iad>, Hank Rogers
<ha...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > you should see something like this
> > <https://images.macrumors.com/t/IK5XofmVpwz3NhzqtIb1VW_uF7o=/800x0/artic
> > le-new/2022/06/ios-16-time-lock-screen.jpg?lossy>
> >

> I get:
> This page isn’t working right now If the problem continues, contact
> the site owner.
> HTTP ERROR 400

that's probably because your newsreader does not properly handle links.

the image is from the first link above, but it sounds like you were
able to change the fonts.

zall

Sep 16, 2022, 11:30:06 PM9/16/22
On Sat, 17 Sep 2022 13:15:40 +1000, Hank Rogers <ha...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
That's because your usenet client only sends half the url to the browser.

zall

Sep 17, 2022, 1:28:33 AM9/17/22
On Sat, 17 Sep 2022 09:53:58 +1000, sms <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

> On 9/16/2022 3:17 PM, zall wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Its in the settings for the lock screen, which makes sense.
>
> Thanks. Actually it's in the setting for wallpaper.

No, it's the customize for the lock screen where you select the font for
the digital clock.

> There is no setting for the "lock screen."

But there is a customize.

Joerg Lorenz

Sep 17, 2022, 2:22:20 AM9/17/22
Am 17.09.22 um 03:01 schrieb zall:
> I have never had to work out which hand is which, because
> I always know roughly what the time is and am just checking
> the clock for a more accurate time.
I'm always surprised how many psychopaths are active in english speaking
groups. Identity-thefts like *Burnelli* and schizophrenic chameleons
like *Rod Speed* are just the tip of the iceberg. *SMS* is a harmless.
These people are in a way obsessed because a little over a dozen people
try to convince each other of irrelevant issues despite its impossibility.

But all these people serve the purpose of destroying the newsgroups they
are posting in. It is a pity.

[16.09.22, 23:01:54 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: Is there a way to see
network details in iPhone's iOS v15.7 (and soon v16)? am 16.09.22,
18:34:33 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[16.09.22, 23:01:54 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16
annoyances am 16.09.22, 18:37:30 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[16.09.22, 23:01:54 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16
annoyances am 16.09.22, 18:55:16 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[16.09.22, 23:01:54 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: U.S. iPhone 14 Models
Will Not Have a Physical SIM Slot. Non-U.S. Models Will Have Both
Physical SIM Slot and eSIM Support. am 16.09.22, 19:00:12 GMT+2
angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[16.09.22, 23:01:54 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16 annoyances am
16.09.22, 20:04:50 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16 annoyances am
17.09.22, 00:17:14 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: U.S. iPhone 14 Models
Will Not Have a Physical SIM Slot. Non-U.S. Models Will Have Both
Physical SIM Slot and eSIM Support. am 17.09.22, 00:21:05 GMT+2
angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16.1 Adds Battery
Percentage to iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone XR, and iPhone 11
Status Bar am 17.09.22, 00:27:45 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16 annoyances am
17.09.22, 03:01:29 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16 annoyances am
17.09.22, 03:04:19 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16.1 Adds Battery
Percentage to iPhone 13 Mini, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone XR, and iPhone 11
Status Bar am 17.09.22, 03:06:29 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: U.S. iPhone 14 Models
Will Not Have a Physical SIM Slot. Non-U.S. Models Will Have Both
Physical SIM Slot and eSIM Support. am 17.09.22, 05:17:52 GMT+2
angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16 annoyances am
17.09.22, 05:30:00 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

[17.09.22, 07:53:57 GMT+2] Filter "Killfilter Rod Speed reincarnations"
auf die Nachricht zall <zal...@gmail.com> - Re: iOS 16 annoyances am
17.09.22, 07:28:27 GMT+2 angewendet Unterthema ignoriert

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

Hank Rogers

Sep 17, 2022, 3:09:48 AM9/17/22
Plonk

Jolly Roger

Sep 17, 2022, 10:36:23 AM9/17/22
It's frankly *amazing* how inept the trolls are in this newsgroup.

*Hemidactylus*

Sep 20, 2022, 12:52:06 PM9/20/22
I have found the scrolling in iBooks to be annoying in that it is all too
easy to trigger an unwanted bookmark. Seems some arbitrary placement or
gesture of my thumb does it and the whole thing is an unwanted distraction.
I never noticed this before iOS 16 as much as I read books on iBooks and
wish this arbitrary bookmark triggering would cease and desist as it
triggers me.